Wednesday 27 June 2007

Gif-sur-Yvette

For the first month of my stay here I am living at the CNRS guest house in Gif-sur-Yvette, where Yvette is a river so the name means Gif on Yvette. The guest house is actually in a big manor house which is pretty cool and it is set in these awesome grounds, with forests and ponds and hidden little alcoves. There is a church right next to my room and the bells go off every 15 minutes it seems, but not at night thank goodness.

It is about a 20 minute train ride outside of Paris, but it is a great little village. I went for a short walk around the place and here are a few photos of where I will be living for the next month. I braved the shops and used my pitiful french for the first time to order 3 apples, a nectarine and some rasberrys, the fruit was fantastic but I'm going to have to work up my courage before I tackle the really busy bakery.
My room in Gif-sur-YvetteThe manor house where I am living until 1st of August



The very narrow streets of Gif-sur-Yvette

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice spot .. looks really cool. Starvation seems like a pretty good motivation for learning french.

Giles said...

Looks really nice, a French village: it'd be nice to compare to Tristram's insane Italian village.

Is this your town?

Where abouts are you?

Devin said...

Hey Annabel. Glad to hear you arrived safely. I just added you to my Skype so I'll probably chat to you soon.

Anonymous said...

So have you properly memorised the translation for "Go, Tiger, go!"? Who knows when you'll be needing it.

Next time someone points to the item you want to purchase, try that line on them and see if you get a discount :D

Anonymous said...

geoff said....

Thanks to aquaman - your chateau residence looks great from the air - formidable

Annabel said...

Giles, that is my town, my residence is just about directly above the arrow on Google, with the big lawns and gravel at the back