Friday 21 November 2008

The Audreys

I went to see the Audreys the other night, they are a "blues and roots" Australian band for those who may not know. I never really know what blues and roots means. But I think it must have something to do with banjos, harmonicas and fiddles (I don't think they are called violins by blues and rootsers). It was an awesome concert though, in what has to be one of the best venues I've ever been in.

It was like they were playing in your living room, granted your living room would have been pretty big, with no furniture and a well-equipped bar in the corner, but it really had that feel. There were maybe 100 people, if that, there and you were so close you could have reached out and touched them if you wanted. There was no security watching out for crowd surfers, no full beer bottles being hurled over the crowd and definitely no fights breaking out. Just generally a really great vibe, an unwashed vibe, but still very chill. I think I have very low standards for what constitutes a great vibe, no threats of physical violence is all it takes, but then that can be hard to find in Australia.

I wish I'd taken my camera with me as it isn't that often you can get that close to ARIA award winners and I don't think it's going to happen again in my life. So unfortunately you don't get to see any photos, and the lead singer was wearing a lovely sparkly dress too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love The Audreys too. Saw them in Adelaide recently in a similar set up - fabulous night. Love the singer's dresses and her voice. Check out their website, My Space or YouTube - usually some good photos or footage up there.