Tuesday 6 November 2007

Mac Problems

As some of you may be aware I have a MacBook laptop, which I really like and have been using as my work computer for almost a year now. At the moment though I'm having real problems with connecting to a network printer, at work we have a nice, new printer, that will even staple the pages for you, how fancy, but I am unable to connect to it when I want to print something. My PC desktop computer has been connected fine, I did have to ask the computer guy to help me with that, but the main reason for that was that everything was in French and I'm not familiar with PC's at the best of times. But I cannot for the life of me get my mac to print. I can add the printer fine, but then when I try to print anything there is no connection. I don't mind that there is a problem, these things can be fiddly to get all the settings right. The problem is that the Printer Utility you use to add the new printers is completely useless in any troubleshooting format. If things don't work the first time, there is nothing you can do to try and work out what the problem is. I remember I had a problem connecting the old printer to my computer, but I managed to work it out with an awesome website I found. The way the printer utility application is set up though means that I can't edit that old configuration, and thus find out what the special trick was.

The Apple website's help section is so useless it is actually funny, underneath an article titled "What to do if you can't print" are the fantastically useful suggestions such as:
  • is the printer on?
  • is it connected to the network?
  • have you printed to the correct printer?
  • is there paper in the printer?
I don't know why they don't also say "Is the computer on MORON!", because that's seems to be their attitude towards people using their help section. That is pretty much the extent of the help from the Apple websites, and I haven't found much luck elsewhere. I'll keep googling, but I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the computer guy again. I'm not sure how he is going to go with all the english menus though. If I ever work it out I'll let you know what it was, it will probably be drivers, that always seems to be the answer to any printer problem.

No comments: