Monday 23 July 2007

Shopping

This weekend I couldn't hold out from the Paris shops anymore. I wanted to go shopping before the sales ended and in France the shops are only allowed 2 sales in a year and they are at specified dates. Apparently it is to stop the big companies dominating the little businesses. It was true that I didn't see any of the big US brands out shopping so maybe the idea is working. It does mean that everyone else is also out shopping at the same time though. I could put up a whole stack of photos of what I bought, but I don't want to bore everyone. One thing I did buy was the new Harry Potter book. In France there really is no need to queue all night for a book, they were just sitting in a pile in one of the department stores. I guess the French aren't all that interested in the stories of a British wizard, plus the books were all in English. I won't tell you how it ends but I liked it, maybe even one of my favorites out of all of them. Now I'm going to have to read it again as I raced through it the first time to find out what happens in the end.

Credit cards mustn't be used as much over here, I think everyone here stills uses cheques. As almost every place I used credit at they wanted my passport or other identification and they then copied down the details on their receipt. They never really checked that my signature matched the one on the card though, so I don't think they have quite got the hang of the whole credit card thing.

1 comment:

Devin said...

Yeah, it's weird about the credit card thing. You would think that Europe would be more advanced in that department. Anyway, I'll be seeing you in several weeks!